2016 has been a whirlwind for me. So much in one revolution around the sun. I traveled to Portland twice, New York, Boston, Minneapolis, San Diego twice, Los Angeles too many times to count, Kauai, Oahu, and Vancouver BC. I photograph all kinds of wonderful things from weddings, mitzahs, events to kids, families, and high school seniors. I worked with clients on visual content for their social media channels from the strategy to mood boards, to shot lists, location scouting, styling, producing and of course photographing.
I have enjoyed getting to meet with so many people in person and on webcam this year. We’ve supported one another, met up for a nibble or drink, gone for walks and hikes, and shown up at one another events. Thank you to all my entrepreneur friends and colleagues. Can’t wait to meet up again for another round of shop talk.
2017, is looking for be filled to the brim with travel, new projects … coming soon a DIY online course on how to shoot better images with your camera phone for social media (want to know more?), a book about how to be creative through photography for 52 weeks, and of course many many photography sessions.
Can’t wait to see you and photograph you in the new year.
Here’s a video highlight of 2016, ENJOY!
It’s incredible to go through my calendar and see all the places I went, people I met with, friends I caught up with and projects I worked on. Here’s my month by month recap of 2016:
- January –
- shot Griffin’s Bar Mitzvah in Los Altos to kick off the year
- ran BE THE CEO workshop (via Business Juice) with Brigitte Lyons
- entered the PDN Lifestyle contest for the first time
- had several Business Juice coaching calls with entrepreneurs
- started shooting for GoBank and GreenDot’s social media
- shot at Yerba Buena Gardens for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Bay Area, celebrating two of their matches
- produced and shot the a branded headshot session with Brigitte Lyons, where I built one of the sets
- shot two brothers for a kids rock session where they played tennis and basketball
- turned in my first ad for Workbook
- went to LA for more portfolio meetings via Fotoworks. Met with Vans, Weber Shanwick, Media Arts Lab and a few more.
- flew to Portland to speak and attend the first ever Quiet Power Strategy Summit, shot Kathy Bourque’s headshot session in Jamison square, photographed two skater girls from Options Model, and met with Weiden Kennedy.
- Celebrated my 13th wedding anniversary
- Off to LA again, for a personal styling session for me and a photo shoot for the wonderful Laurie B Styled, photographed a maternity session with the lovely Jerah and Hasson who I had the honor of photographing their wedding, created more social media images for the bank, and hung out in Manhattan Beach with my little cousins. Spent time with another set of cousins as my uncle had a massive heart attack and we gathered at the hospital, followed by hospice , to share stories, hug and just be together.
- shot headshots for United Mechanic with Tiffany Fong
- began the early stages of launching my podcast (coming out spring 2017)
- played tourist in San Francisco with my cousins
- surprised my mom on her birthday
- shot all new images for Business Juice’s new website (coming in early Feb ’17)
- photographed the business partners Patti and Jane for their website and social media profiles in the Cole Valley neighborhood in San Francisco
- had my new headshots taken for the Business Juice website, thanks to Tiffany Fong for photographing me and helping me put together the set vignettes and to Jessica Quintal for doing my hair and makeup.
- More awesome content creation for GoBank and GreenDot’s social feed
- Flew off to Minneapolis for a week where I met with two ad agencies, stay with my friend Jen, went stand up paddle boarding for the first time, celebrated my birthday with Jen’s family, visited with the dynamic photo husband and wife duo Ackerman and Gruber and rode the ferry wheel at Betty Danger’s
- off to Los Angeles again, this time to celebrate my Dad’s birthday, which is also July 4th, photograph Dan Wegrzyn for his personal chef business Zynplicity, and stay for another week as my dad had back surgery.
- hired a virtual assistant to help me collect together all the past Creative Jumpstart newsletters and blog posts spanning three years, into one document which will be worked into a fun new book coming in late 2017.
- went to Creative Live San Francisco headquarters for a fun product pop up and watch party
- went to Monterrey with Julie Cheshire to second shoot a wedding, then following weekend we shot together again
- photographed a fun girls fitness shoot in studio
- closed out the month with a Baker Beach wedding that I second shoot with Casey Splain
- went to a Cubs v. A’s game. Lucky enough to have Vanessa Joy, her little Lizzi and Moshe’s family join in the fun while they were in town
- attended the first Tuesday’s Together meeting in Oakland… such a great group of entrepreneurs
- took a SBA class on Payroll and Tax
- second shot a wedding with Michael D. Henry, where on the wedding day, driving from the bridal portraits to the reception I was pulled over for speeding, but they let me off, thank goodness. It was quiet nerve racking and on top of it I didn’t want to let down Michael and be late for the grand entrance.
- shot a high school senior session in Land’s End
- headed to San Diego for a headshot branding and family session with Rebecca Bass, then danced the night away at my little cousin Isabelle’s Bat Mitzvah
- worked on my website copy for Business Juice
- long time friends Beka and Matt came into town and we played all weekend long. Took them to Philz Coffee, the pinball museum in Alameda, Sausalito with a stop at Cavallo Point to see the Golden Gate bridge from a unique view.
- shot the families of Shutterfly
- went to Joshua Tree for the first time for a photo workshop with Katch Silva and Ben Sasso
- did a test shoot with Jessica Boone where we work up a wonderful charcuterie platter to photograph and then devour when we finished
- photographed Adam Young’s Bar Mitzvah at Temple Solel in Cariff by the Sea
- photographed Alessandra Wall branded headshots including some parkur moments
- second shot a two day wedding with Jules Bianchi at the Sikh Center in El Sobrante and the next day the reception at The Fairmont Hotel
- shot Big Brothers Big Sisters match day picnic
- flew to Portland to work and visit my friend and podcast editor Kate O’brien.
- photographed Stephanie and James wedding at the cute Stone Barn Ranch about an hour outside Sacramento. So grateful to have Ananda Shorey as my second shooter
- second shot a wedding with Julie Cheshire at the beautiful St Cecilia Church in the West Portal neighborhood and the party continued at the Bentley Reserve in San Francisco
- Attended my childhood friend, Rebecca Wolff’s wedding in Santa Cruz, no camera required. :)
- flew to New York for about 20 meetings with ad agencies and magazine photo editors, stopped in at Photo+, caught up with friends: Jacquette Timmons, Colleen Vreeland, Brian Friedman, and a huge thank you to my friend Mike for letting me take over his couch for a few days. I loved that we got to ride the subway together each morning as we headed off in the same direction with the same final stop
- Then it was off to Boston to visit LensProToGo headquarters and get yo work on creating an awesome new equipment sponsorship program
- assisted Ananda Shorey with family formals at a Bat Mitzvah at the InterConnental Mark Hopkins hotel
- back to Los Angeles for another round of ad agencies meeting (thank you Workbook)
- second shot my first Disney wedding with Shereen Rebar at the classic Disneyland Hotel
- shot an in home family session that concluded with an outing for lunch
- attended the Teachable Summit
- enjoyed Thanksgiving with our friend Pilar’s family
- volunteered with Youth Arts Exchange to help prep the gallery for their annual art show
- was one of several photographers for Colson Griffith, photographing Compass Point families
- hand delivered custom made holiday cards to my client
- back to LA one more time, for a meeting with founder Kristen Daley of Hand+Seed, a food shot focused on blood oranges and of course, seeing friends and family
- a fun 4 day trip to Vancouver to visit friends and family
- hosted a two day sale at Studio Fotographica to clear out the studio
- met up with Liza, owner of Studio DBI, a new to the bay area wedding and party planner from DC, for a great conversation on visual content strategy
- met with Billy Cole, to talk about several collaborations and business opportunities included social content development for brands, and two personal projects for 2017.
- hired a web and graphic designer to finish my stalled Business Juice website
Whew and that’s wasn’t everything.
If you’re interested in the DIY online camera class be sure to get on the insiders list.
See you in 2017!